Then Sings My Soul... God is not a God for the Good times only. In history's darkest times, he is there. During the dark night of the individual soul, he is there. "I tell the Lord my troubles and difficulties, and wait for him to give me the answers to them," says one man of God. "And it is wonderful how a matter that looked very dark will in prayer become clear as crystal by the help of God's spirit. I think Christians fail so often to get answers to their prayers because they do not wait long enough on God. They just drop down and say a few words, and then jump up and forget it and expect God to answer them. Such praying always reminds me of the small boy ringing his neighbor's doorbell, and then running away as fast as he can.
Johnny Bartek, a sergeant and close friend of Captain Rickenbacker, tells of his experience when lost at sea. "As soon as we were in the rafts at the mercy of God, we realized that we were not in any condition to expect help from him. We spent many hours of each day confessing our sins to one another and to God... then we prayed, and God answered. "It was real. We needed water, and we got water--- all we needed . Then we asked for fish, and we got fish. And we got meat when we prayed. Seagulls don't go around sitting on people's heads waiting to be caught. On that eleventh day when those planes flew by, we all cried like babies. It was then I prayed again to God and said: "If you'll send one plane back for us, I promise I'll believe in you and tell everyone else. That plane came back, and the others flew on. It just happened? It did not. God sent that plane back." ----- Dick Eastman, No Easy Road (Baker Book House)
Even The Little Things... Is the Lord interested in the little things too? Consider this. When I was a freshman in college, I lost my fountain pen. It was in the days of the Great Depression, and I had no money. I was walking across a field where I thought I might have lost it, and being young I said, "Lord , help me find my fountain pen." I walked across the field, and there in front of my face was my fountain pen. God is interested in fountain pens as well as anything else. he wants me to come to him in everything. ----- Vonette Bright and Ben A. Jennings, Unleashing the Power of Prayer (Moody Press, 1989)
No comments:
Post a Comment